Friday, May 24, 2013

MEDIA FACEBOOKS VS CORPORATE FACEBOOKS

My current situation can be a casebook study in the differences between Media Facebook postings vs Corporate Facebook postings.
Corporations are quick to punish and maybe terminate employees who post personal thoughts or information on the company Facebook.   Based on that history, some have suggested that maybe I didn't understand this issue.  It might provide a defense to say ... gee, I'm just stupid, I didn't know.  I can some hear some saying ... oh yeah, you were stupid, but hold the remarks for a moment.
Media Facebooks are different in that reporters are not only encouraged, but pushed to post perspectives, opinions and personal items.  All of  this is to "engage" readers and in turn draw more listeners or viewers. 
In the beginning when my former employer wanted us to get on Facebook, I was reluctant ... not out of fear ... but apathy.  Too many Facebook posts were inane and just plain boring.
Why would anyone care if I wrote:  It is such a nice day and I decided to go out and just watch the sun shining on the Arch.
If that kind of dribble interests you ... well, there are many Facebook posts which you will find compelling.
One former anchor spent a lot of time posting wedding and travel pics and writing about a new pet or favorite shop.
I guess that engages a certain segment of the audience, but that's not what I wanted to do.
So, I decided that to make Facebook viable that I would use it to focus on news stories.  
Sometimes, I would  just post  details of a controversial story, and use Facebook to open a forum; other times, I might post a story and mix in views from those who supported and those who opposed the story.  Still, other times, I would add a personal twist or perspective based on my decades in broadcast journalism or personal connection or history to the  story.
Those kind of postings were doing the job ... pulling viewers to the Facebook and driving more and more traffic.
After taking that approach, my fan base went from maybe 1200 to almost 6,000.
In the world of pop celebrity Facebooks, those numbers mean nothing, but that growth excited station and news managers, and they wanted more of  the same kind of engagement and growth.
And ... that you might say ... is when the fight started.

7 comments:

  1. Larry, good to have *your* perspective of all of this. At first, I was apathetic myself to the story, but as I've read more, I've become much more interested. You said exactly what I wanted to know: what did KMOV say you were all to do with your station Facebook pages? You answered it.

    I hope you come out in a better position in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you At least now you have the facts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote an email of protest to your former General Manager and was disappointed to receive a response that was obviously the stock answer to any correspondence they receive on this. That is, sadly, what I would expect from one who fires a person for being real and human. Thank you for telling your side. I appreciate your integrity, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron, thank you for taking time to express your point to the station and sharing with me. I truly appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry I also emailed the station manager and got a very generic response I'm sure his acct is flooded with outrage. Anyways what frustrates me is "he" basically said the media is supposed to be unbiased I told him if that's the case then some wrists needs to be getting slapped at CNN as well as MSNBC. I always liked your reporting you were always honest. Miss ya lots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, I graduated from high school the year you started your broadcasting. I have watched you for years. What they did to you was extremely unfair. I listened to you on Dana's show earlier this week and am glad you are speaking out on what is really going on. I highly respect you and have no doubt you will be in a better position without Channel 4. As I said on the "Support Larry Conners" page, they needed you and you do not need them. It is definitely their loss. Hope to see you on TV again soon on another station. Keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so disgusted over what they have done to you. Since I am a retired nobody, I can say. What I want and no one cares so therefore, "nothing associated with Obama ever turns out well"

    ReplyDelete